Saturday, November 20, 2010

fri, 11/19...day 323

Niall gave me a quick tour of his classroom this morning, since we didn't have time for it on Monday.

I love seeing all the wonderful things the kids are up to. These "heart maps" especially touched me. Something we all could benefit from, I think: reminders of what is important to us, what has touched us, made us happy or sad, where we've been, what we're grateful for.

The class made heart maps as part of thinking about personal narrative writing - bringing small moments and stories into writing to bring it to life. I love that Alice is helping them explore this, not just teaching them the "five paragraph essay" and the rote parts of writing. The heart and soul of writing is so important, and can get lost in world of precise but vacuous prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment