Tuesday, April 28, 2009

[day 118 ... april 28]

This old-fashioned enormous dictionary is in the Little School library. Brings back fond memories for me as my grandparents had a similar one in their home. I loved the indented tabs for each letter, and the sheer size of the book: so many words in small type on such thin paper. Just always impressed me, and made me think how small my vocabulary really must be compared with the whole of the English language.

Now I receive daily Word-A-Day e-mails that also remind me how little of the language I know, but in a smaller, packeted way. I do learn from them, as I did from browsing through my grandparents' dictionary. I'm glad my kids also love to look up words in a real, hardcopy dictionary too, even if it's less efficient than searching online.

No comments:

Post a Comment