Friday, November 6, 2009

[day 309... nov 5]

This is my great-aunt Cathryn on the occasion of her 101st birthday, with her son Bob and his family. She passed away today, in her home where she had lived for many years, with family by her side. She was a remarkable lady who kept up her inquisitive spirit and keen life observations all her life.

I didn't meet her until she was well into her late 90's. My dad had been estranged from his family for many years, but was invited to attend Cathryn's 95th birthday and reconnected with her and many cousins and other relatives.

Several years later, I visited Cathryn with my dad and had a delightful time. Her hearing and eyesight were getting to be a challenge, but the conversations were just a treat. We visited again several times, and she showed me some of her needlework and unfinished projects - as we all have!

The last time I saw her was at a big party for her 100th birthday in July 2008. She enjoyed having many family members join her for a luncheon, and then we returned to her house in Lake Stevens for an afternoon visit outside on a beautiful day.

We are so lucky to have a detailed, rich autobiography that she wrote, so I've been able to learn so much about her life, especially the early days of familiy life for her and her many siblings (including my dad's father, Siegmund). Blessings and best always, Cathryn. We miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment