Thursday, March 26, 2009

[day 84 ... march 25]

My turn for observation/conference for Cory's class today. One of my favorite things to do. I sit in the observation room with the window slid open so I can hear the kids talking. I write down verbatim notes about conversations and interactions, partly because they're so cool to look back on years later (I still have many from Kellen and Tynor observations, long ago) and partly because it keeps me looking very "busy" so kids are less likely to try to engage with me and instead focus on each other and their important work together.

Here's Cory with his (current) "best friend" Theo - a fellow Star Wars fanatic. "Theo and I know just about everything, that's why we like to play together." :-)

I could stay and observe all day. Just love watching all the kids creating, play-acting together, helping each other, sharing, resolving problems, pounding playdough - just the whole thing. Everything is fascinating and they are learning new facts, ideas, approaches every minute of the day. It's such a refreshing window into a simpler life, the life of 4- and 5-year-olds, focused on what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment