Friday, November 13, 2009

[day 316... nov 12]

I observed in Niall's class today. One of my favorite ways to spend a morning is to watch a fabulous Little School teacher like Alice practicing her craft. It just blows me away how warmly and skillfully someone like Alice can guide a squirrely, busy group of 8-10 year olds in working hard, engaging in meaningful discussions, and participate in developing and following through on a plan. I am just in awe. I could have stayed all day and just soaked it in.

And watching my boy - who has had some big ups and downs in a classroom environment - being so thoughtful and deeply engaged in classroom learning made me practically well up. He has come so far in his ability to be a constructive member of a group, and still kept and developed the very best he has to offer in his inquisitiveness and eagerness to learn and share. It's wonderful to have a teacher like Alice who truly enjoys him so much and can provide him with lots of meaty material and challenges to keep his busy brain clicking along.

Just a very good thing all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment